Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Autism Awareness and Zucchini

more on zucchini in a bit...

Today is World Autism Awareness Day. I am so pleased to see all the attention that is being paid to this worthy cause today (and almost everyday, it seems). Though there is still the part of me that is sad that we have to have a day like this at all. I must say that for all the difficulties we have on a daily basis I am blessed and grateful that we have a very mild case. Yes, I do mean we. Though this may seem to be James's affliction we are all affected. We have all had to adjust our way of life to adjust for him and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

People often say 'I give you so much credit' or 'I don't know how you do it'. The answer is simple: Jesus. It is only through His gift of grace and forgiveness that I am where I am today. And I truly believe that without this saving grace I could not be the Wife-Parent-Daughter-Sister-Friend that I am today. I also believe that it is through His amazing plan that I have been connected to and been touched by so many who have taught me (and subsequently us) all the things I didn't know that I would need to know.

And now for the zucchini... John tried zucchini for the first time tonight and the outcome was not favorable! This is the first time in 3 months that he has actually rejected food. He seemed happier to not eat than to eat pulverized zucchini mixed with applesauce, rice cereal and formula. (You know you want some!!!) Ahhh, the joys of parenthood... more to come.

No comments: