Friday, August 8, 2008

The R-Word

I have recently been made aware of some of the "finer" (please read with complete sarcasm) points of a new movie by Dreamworks that opened last week, Tropic Thunder. It astonishes me that in our world we still choose to use such ignorant and self-righteous terms. I won't even dignify the movie by using the word that is repeated over and over. I will say that it begins with the letter R.

Why is it that the N word has been inexcusable for years (don't get me wrong I completely agree with that social more), yet the R word is still encouraged as the thread on which so many jokes are spun? Someone recently referred to my son as R and I saw red for weeks. But I had to realize that this person is ignorant and obviously knows nothing about my son (even though she is family). My son at the age of 4 is reading at the 2nd grade level, has memorized all 50 states and their capitols and is teaching himself Spanish. Yes, he may not be able to have a coherent conversation but that's fine with me. I have learned so much more from him than from most adults.

I will admit that as a teenager I made jokes about these things. You know how funny we thought it was to joke about the length of the bus someone rode or the speed at which they could finish an assignment. But as an adult I have seen the error of my adolescent ways. And while I don't condone this behavior I can also see that this was a child's behavior and as children we need our parents and other trusted adults around to guide our actions. However, as adults (which is what I thought the people running Dreamworks are) we have a responsibility to use and promote informed and respectful speech. Just as a person cannot choose their ethnic background (and therefore should not be ridiculed or disrespected for it) so it is true for our disabled family, friends and neighbors. They did not choose to have these obstacles placed before them. (Though as a result they often work harder than you and I ever will.) Instead let us look up to them for not giving up in the face of trial and adversity, let us cheer them on and let us come along side to run the race with them.

Won't you join me and the millions of others that have already said I will not support such ignorance and bigotry. Tell others that you won't go see this movie and let Hollywood know that this ISN'T funny! You can click on the box to the right to let your voice be heard.

No comments: